We're hiring a Communications SpecialistApplication deadline is on Dec 2, 2022 by 12 AM ET.
Salary: $65,000 per annum
Position: Full-Time (Remote, based in Ontario)
Deadline to Apply: December 2nd, 2022
Anticipated Start Date: January 2023
About the Role
We are looking for a Communications Specialist who is passionate about mobilizing people across Canada to take action towards an energy efficient economy. Reporting to the Director of Communications, the Communications Specialist will oversee Efficiency Canada’s website and social media efforts.
Efficiency Canada is the national voice for an energy efficient economy. We envision a future where Canada uses energy efficiency to its fullest potential. This means maximizing the benefits of energy efficiency to result in a sustainable environment, a productive economy, and a just and equitable society.
Efficiency Canada is housed at Carleton University’s Sustainable Energy Research Centre. We acknowledge that the location of our campus sits on the traditional, unceded territories of the Algonquin nation. In doing so, we acknowledge we have a responsibility to the Algonquin people and a responsibility to adhere to Algonquin cultural protocols.
We are committed to fostering a diverse and equitable workplace, which is why we have signed on to the 50-30 Challenge. We highly encourage applications from equity-deserving groups especially Indigenous Peoples, Black, and other People of Colour candidates. If you share our passion for creating a more inclusive planet, we invite you to apply regardless of fit with your previous experience or background.
Candidates must be based in Ontario or the National Capital Region (Ottawa-Gatineau).
- Maintain the Efficiency Canada website, ensuring all content is up-to-date, accurate and follows brand guidelines and web best practices. Lead design and layout changes to optimize the user experience.
- Manage social media efforts across the organization, including planning, monitoring and engagement efforts.
- Create on-brand, creative visual assets (graphics, report covers, infographics) for website, reports, and social media.
- Edit video content (webinars, interviews), pulling out key concepts and transforming it into actionable online content.
- Analyze and report on social media and website performance, make recommendations on, and contribute to, overall digital growth strategy.
- Stay up-to-date with the latest trends and information available on digital communications including web accessibility and usability, industry changes and processes.
- Ensure all visual content (social media, slide decks, reports) aligns with brand guidelines.
Efficiency Canada is housed within Carleton University; however, our team works in a remote, online environment. Access to a reliable computer and internet connection is required. Device access accommodations can be made available.
- Flexible and remote work arrangement.
- Four weeks’ vacation.
- Additional day off around statutory long weekends during the months of April to September, an annual winter holiday shutdown, and your birthday off.
- Training and development budget to support your professional goals.
- Volunteer time off to support causes that are most important to you.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations, or related major.
- 2-3 years’ previous experience working in communications or a related role.
- Proficient in writing and editing a range of communications.
- Experience implementing online communications campaigns related to research and advocacy.
- Experience monitoring and managing social media.Excellent organizational skills with ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Strong visual communications capabilities.
- Ability and/or interest in using tools such as Trello, Canva, WordPress, Adobe Creative Cloud, and Descript.
- Comfort with social media planning, curation, analytics, and reporting.
- Ability to work with a diverse range of stakeholders and collaborators.
- Ability to work independently, with the comfort to ask for help, when needed.
- Positive, proactive, and personable team player.
- Passionate commitment to the mission and objectives of Efficiency Canada.
Nice to have:
- Experience editing original video content.
- Experience in data visualization.
- Experience using WordPress and Divi builder.
- Experience running paid advertising campaigns.
- Bilingualism in both English and French.
- Experience in the non-profit or not-for-profit sector. .
To apply for this position, please include a cover letter and resume as a single PDF and submit to email@example.com. PDF files should follow the file naming convention ‘Last Name, First Name’. Please outline your pronouns and availability in your cover letter. If you require accommodations during the application and interview process, please do not hesitate to reach out to Kristy Mortham, Director of Operations at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Employment Equity Statement
Carleton University and Efficiency Canada strongly committed to fostering diversity within its community as a source of excellence, cultural enrichment, and social strength. We welcome those who would contribute to the further diversification of our University including, but not limited to: women; visible minorities; First Nations, Inuit, and Métis peoples; persons with disabilities; and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity and expressions.
About Efficiency Canada
Efficiency Canada is the national voice for an energy efficient economy. We envision a future where Canada uses energy efficiency to its fullest potential. This means maximizing the benefits of energy efficiency that result in a sustainable environment, a productive economy, and a just and equitable society.
Efficiency Canada is housed at Carleton University’s Sustainable Energy Research Centre, which is located on the traditional unceded territories of the Algonquin nation.